Sunday, March 14, 2010

Don't bug me, Mo is now two two and Orchestra Seats at a Bris?

Where in the world did someone come up with the phrase "as cute as a bug's ear"? There is nothing adorable about bugs or their ears (do bugs even have ears?). Let's begin by telling you about how I feel about bugs, insects or any live creepy crawlers. I don't like them. Whether they are inside or outside....I still don't like them. For this reason I am not into Camping. The only thing close to "camping" I will do is have a chocolate covered marshmallow at a Hyatt Hotel. Okay, so I am not an outdoorsey type but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy going on adventures.....as long as there are no bugs I'm fine. Steve on the other hand has no problem with bugs. He has been known to play, eat, decapitate, squish, flush, cook and capture bugs. Every late summer we get "flying ants" that invade our front porch area. YO and Steve eagerly anticipate the arrival of these pests ......here's the usual conversation between these two Nars on FLYING ANT DAY.

YO - "Steve! The ants are here! The ants are here!....when are you coming home"?
STEVE - "I will be there as soon as I can"
YO - "Bring your blowtorch"
STEVE - "Got it....see ya soon"

Now, if you have never witnessed this you must come by next time this yearly event occurs. Steve and YO are on the front porch with a million flying ants. Steve has the blowtorch at full tilt and YO is the only one in the audience. Steve aims the torch at all the ants and annihilates them by frying them to a crisp. YO is mesmerized by this and the two of them are having the time of their lives. Does this sound like fun to you? Try living with these two guys. I am getting to my point...hang on....

Thursday night we settled in to watch Greys Anatomy in our room. I was snuggled under my covers and from the corner of my eye I looked up to see a silverfish on the ceiling near Steve's side of the bed. Ever since I was a little girl I have had a pretty good knack of spotting unwanted creatures in the house. Now that I am a bit older I have to put on my glasses to determine whether or not the said CREATURE is in fact an insect or a piece of sock lint.

"Steve!!!! I see a bug"! I scream. "So?", Steve replies. "So? So, please come here and retrieve it", I ask. Steve walks into the room....analyzes the insect and goes back downstairs to refill his teacup. "AHHHHHH! Where are you going! Aren't you going to kill the bug"?, I screech. "Ya, I'll be right back", he says nonchalantly. "Oh my G-d", I scream...."I can't believe you are leaving me here with that THING on the ceiling", I say.

At this point the bug is motionless. Just sitting quietly on the ceiling near the electrical cord of the hanging lamp. I don't see Steve returning rapidly enough so I call MO to my rescue. MO enters the room and walks over to look at the culprit on the ceiling. He then proceeds to talk to the bug AND it started running.  I have no idea what MO said to agitate the insect but I believe he told it to head for the hills. As soon as it began moving I jumped up, stood on the bed and started screaming for a tissue.....as if the bug knew that it was about to be squished it disappeared into a small hole in the ceiling. Out of sight but not out of  MY mind. Here comes my husband back into the room with his replenished cup of tea. "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG!" I cried. "Now the stupid bug is gone and I don't know where it is!" I said. He put down his teacup and stood up on the bed looking for the bug. What was the point now? The bug was most likely peering at Steve through the hole it was hiding in and thinking...."ya sucker, I'm in here but you can't get me now because you had to go and get yourself another tea....Ha Ha". There are two of us standing on the bed now looking at the ceiling. "hmmm....I don't seem to see it anymore", he says. NO DUH.  The bug was not lame. It knew that the only person who could murder it quickly was making a TEA so it took the GO-TRAIN to the next station. Steve sat back down on the bed and I looked at him and said.... "Well, what are we going to do now"? "What do you mean, what are we going to do now"? he replied. "We are going to watch Greys and go to sleep, that's what we are going to to do now", explained Tilly the Tea Drinker. "GO TO SLEEP"? "WITH A BUG IN THE CEILING", I said incredulously. This is when Steve enlightened me with the fact that this bug was not the only bug in the house. According to him there are hundreds of hidden insects living in the house but they don't always come out at the same time. HUNDREDS? How do you expect me to relax knowing that the house is infested with hundreds of small insects. Is this a piece of information you tell someone who has enough trouble falling asleep just before bedtime? Now I am imagining what CAN transpire during the night and I am trying to figure out how I can secure all my orfaces.

The only thing I manage to do is put in earplugs so that the "Monsieur Bug" doesn't jump down on my head and crawl into my brain via my ear (with his other hundred friends) while I am sleeping. We start watching Greys and I transform into Marty Feldman (one eye on the TV and the other on the Ceiling).
Last week as you know MO was fitted for a brand new suit. One of his gifts purchased for his twenty second birthday. He could hardly contain his excitement until it was finally ready last week for pick up. His older brother FO (first one) was kind enough to get it for him as he was going to be at the mall with his girlfriend CHLO. As soon as the suit arrived home, MO proceeded to try it on. I made him pose for me for a pic even though MO is photo shy. I title this shot - MO IN HIS BIRTHDAY SUIT. He is so cute, he wants to wear it everywhere...even to the dentist.

We couldn't decide where to go to celebrate his birthday so there were a couple of suggestions made. One was Baton Rouge, a restaurant with a varied menu. Steak, ribs, chicken, burgers, salads ....you name it they have it. I called to make a reservation and the hostess said "we can only let you have the table from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., then we need it back". What? We need it back? MO wasn't too thrilled with the prospect of "giving back the table" so he came up with another idea. Let's go for ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI instead! I gave birth to three sons whose motto has been and will always be "YA CAN'T BEAT ALL YA CAN EAT". And so, we cancelled our reservation to the "NEED THE TABLE BACK AT 8:30" and made a reservation at "LET'S SEE HOW MUCH WE CAN EAT BY 8:30". When we arrived at the sushi joint the owner looked at YO and recognized him. He is on the world's most wanted "all ya can eat" list. The menu is printed on the front side of your placemat. YO can't read his  after he starts eating because he "splashes it".

I reached into my purse and pulled out my hot pink highlighter then proceeded to select from an array of sushi, noodles, tempura and Japanese delicacies.When all was said and done we had consumed over 120 sushi rolls and the owner was really happy to see us leave.

It was a full and busy week......I even  had time to fit in a BRIS on Friday. Steve's bro and his wife had a baby boy who needed some trimming and so the ritual was performed even though the baby was unaware that he had to become a FULL JEW.  If you have never attended this traditional type of religious ceremony let me explain what happens in laymen terms.

1. The parents produce a boy
2. The parents are Jewish
3. The baby is semi-Jewish until after the bris
4. There are relatives and friends present
5. There are bagels and cream cheese present (sometimes egg and tuna are present)
6. There is a Mohel present (pronounced MOY EL) - he is the snipper
7. There is a unsuspecting baby present - he is the snippee
8. There are people crying and laughing present
9. There are presents
10. There are sharp instruments present
11. There is wine present
12. There is a penis present
13. There is skin present
14. There is no skin present anymore

end of bris.

A bris is an event where you never want to sit in the front row....except if you are my husband. You see, Steve is always willing to learn new things and thinks that he can master any task if he just watches ONCE. Attention all JEWS - Hide your newborn sons.

Jewish Joke:

Q. Why do Jewish women always go for men who are circumcised?


A: Because they find it hard to refuse anything with 10% off.

No comments:

Post a Comment